You guys have probably all seen the quiz that’s been making the rounds through Facebook recently. A bunch of questions created by someone who obviously has way too much time on his/her hands, intended for a mom to ask her kids (and/or husband). So, because I obviously don’t have anything better to do, like taking care of a baby, doing laundry, cleaning the house, washing dishes . . . or anything else productive, I’m gonna go ahead and just do it.
Wait, what’s that kid chewing on now? Hold on, I’ll be right back . . .
Ok, just an electrical cord. No big deal. He’ll be fine. It will take him a while to gnaw through that plastic coating anyway. Let’s get to the important stuff. Quiz time!
I asked my oldest boys, and then even my husband, these questions. I will say that it was somewhat enlightening. I even tried to get the baby to give me some answers, but couldn’t quite figure out what he meant by, “eeeeeeeeeeee, bababamamamababamama.” If anyone speaks baby, let me know what he had to say.
Alright, let’s get this party started. First up to bat . . . the 7 year old. Here goes. (My reaction/comments on their answers are in italics).
1. What is something I always say? Go clean up the playroom (true).
2. What makes me happy? Coffee (yep).
3. What makes me sad? Don’t know.
4. How do I make you laugh? Tickling.
5. What was I like as a child? Happy and loved unicorns (um . . . sure).
6. How old am I? 40
7. How tall am I? 4 feet (so close).
8. What is my favorite thing to do? Go shopping (not even a little).
9. What do I do when you’re not home? Do laundry (sadly, yes).
10. What am I really good at? Taking care of the baby (awww, sniff).
11. What am I not very good at? Being up in the morning without coffee (this boy knows me).
12. What do I do for a job? Take care of the baby. You quit your job as a . . . lawyer? (ding ding ding).
13. What is my favorite food? Sushi (not exactly, but ok).
14. What do you enjoy doing with me? Watching movies.
Next up, the 10 year old.
1. What do I always say? Take the trash out.
2. What makes me happy? When the baby’s being good and my brother and I are behaving. And your kids are at school (this question was asked while the boys had been home for the 187th snow day this winter).
3. What makes me sad? One of us getting hurt?
4. How do I make you laugh? Telling a joke that’s funny.
5. What was I like as a child? I don’t know, I wasn’t living then!
6. How old am I? 40
7. How tall am I? 5’4″ (even closer!).
8. What is my favorite thing to do? Probably relax or go on a vacation where you don’t have to do stuff (so much this).
9. What do I do when you’re not home? Your work: take care of the baby, dishes, laundry, bottles, feeding the baby. You know, chores.
10. What am I really good at? Art and work around the house.
11. What am I not very good at? Keeping your cool (FALSE!! Um, I mean . . . who me?).
12. What do I do for a job? Stay home and work around the house (please note his and his brother’s answers to this question . . . before we get to their father’s response below).
13. What is my favorite food? Sushi (again? ok).
14. What do you enjoy doing with me? Taking walks around the neighborhood.
And finally, the hubs’ answers. Brace yourselves.
1. What is something I always say? Can you hold the baby for a minute.
2. What makes me happy? Baths, sleeping in, reading books, personal time away, sitting in your chair (all correct, and sadly, all things I hardly ever get to do).
3. What makes me sad? Your old job.
4. How do I make you laugh? When you sing (mean!).
5. What was I like as a child? Beautiful & carefree (um, sure).
6. How old am I? 41 in a week (2 days now, but yes).
7. How tall am I? 5’6″ (when I told him I’m 5’5 1/2″ he just said he rounded up. Uh huh, ok).
8. What is my favorite thing to do? Take a bath.
9. What do I do when you’re not home? Take care of the kids, you know, you do your thing.
10. What am I really good at? Remembering birthdays, sending cards to people you care about, and reading with the kids (very perceptive and correct!).
11. What am I not very good at? Finances (Ha! Hello, pot. I’m kettle, nice to meet ya!) and cleaning (well, I just don’t like it, doesn’t mean I’m not good at it).
12. What do I do for a job? Housewife (which led to a 5 minute diatribe from yours truly about how I am not defined by my role as his wife because it’s not the 50’s and he doesn’t own me, etc.). Ok, fine, whatever PC thing it’s called now. (So much better, thanks). (Please note that my hubs is really not a misogynist, which is why I found his answer so surprising and kinda funny).
13. What is my favorite food? Pasta (there we go!).
14. What do you enjoy doing with me? Just gazing into your eyes. (Very funny). Ok, traveling with you, talking to you . . . when you’re not yelling at me.
So there you go. A little insight into the minds of my boys. Discovering what your family thinks of you is always interesting. I was pleasantly surprised with many of my boys’ answers, and not quite as enthralled with the hubs. But then again, when you ask a question, I guess you have to be prepared for an answer. Whether it’s the answer you wanted/expected, or not.
I guess they’ll still get dinner tonight.