August Was Rough

Hey there.  Long time no see blog.  I know you’re probably not speaking to me now, because you think I just abandoned you without even a sayonara, but at least let me explain.  No, don’t look at me like that, I have a good reason, I promise!  Just give me one more chance.  Please?

So, the last you heard from me was early July.  I really have no explanation for the rest of that month, except to say that I was sad, and it’s hard to write witty, snarky posts when consumed by the sadness.  By the time I started to emerge from the funk, it was the annual family vacation time, which we all so desperately needed.  So, August started out pretty good, with a full week and a half of vacationing down the beach with my  husband’s crazy and wonderful family.  It was relaxing and fun and everything a vacation at the beach should be.  I laid in the sun and got tan, took my kids on rides and played games and mini-golfed, and even had a date night with my hubs at the local casino where I won some cash.  All and all it was the perfect getaway.

And then we returned, and I was punished for that enjoyment with extreme prejudice.  I got sick.  At first,  I thought it was just a bad cold, so I took a day off of work and went to my OB (because I’m there all the damn time and knew they wouldn’t charge me a $50 co-pay just to get a note for work).  I told them I had a cold and needed a note, they checked the baby’s heartbeat (although the baby was just fine thanks), gave me my  note, and I was on my way.  Although, the next day I felt even worse!  I decided just to take another day off to rest and try to recuperate, and deal with the whole “note” thing later.  But then Friday came.  And I felt the same.  I took another day (which is insane for me) and decided that it was finally time to go to an actual doctor.

Diagnosis?  Sinus infection.  Well, crap.  And since I’m allergic to penicillin and also pregnant, I was limited in the meds I could take.  So, I was given Erythromycin and sent on my way.  Cut to Monday where I still feel like hell and don’t make it into work again.  This was getting out of control.  I had no choice but to suck it up for Tuesday, since I was due in court, but by Tuesday afternoon, when I still felt like death, I returned to the doc to see what was up.

Apparently, I still had the infection as the meds had not worked.  On to antibiotic #2:  the Z-pac.  Once again, I dragged myself into work the next day for court, but by Thursday, I was done and took another day.  This was getting ridiculous, but I just couldn’t really function.  I once again womaned up for Friday and got to work, but knew I was in for another visit to the doc that afternoon when I felt exactly the same.  I happened to see the same doc from my first visit, and he informed me that my ears and throat looked just as infected as they had a week ago.  So, he prescribed the last possible antibiotic he could, which was Bactrum (#3), but also told me that if that one didn’t work, I’d have to go to an ENT to have my sinuses drained.  Oh, and that involved the breaking of my nasal bone to get up there and do that.  So that was good news!

Cut to Monday and I still feel the same and take another day off.  And also call the ENT, reluctantly, to make an appointment.  First available is for the following Friday.  Great.

The next 2 days are court days, so I’m at work, despite feeling the same.  Thursday I take off again.  Although, it was fortuitous that I was off, because I got a call early that morning from the ENT about a cancellation for that afternoon at 3:00.  Could I come in?  Damn straight I could.

Luckily, the doc was nice and didn’t break anything.  But, he also told me that it appeared that I no longer had the infection.  When I told him I still felt like crap, he poked around in all of my head orifices and said that it could be residual stuff in there or maybe even allergies.  He stuck some stuff up my nose and ended up sucking out a bunch of extreme snottiness.  Yum.  When I asked him about the nose breaking, he seemed surprised that the other doctor told me that, and explained that he doesn’t normally do that as a practice, unless it’s in very extreme circumstance.  Instead, he gave me some Nasonex, and sent me on my way.

Happy ending, right?  Oh how I wish it was that simple.  Cut to two days later and I’m sitting at my son’s baseball game feeling very uncomfortable and itchy.  I start seeing all of these little red dots appearing all over me and am feeling quite miserable (in addition to the current sinus misery I was still feeling, for whatever reason).  By the end of the day, I was a giant ball of red itchiness, so I passed on dinner with the team and ran home, stopping only to buy some oatmeal bath and gold bond menthol lotion.  Those were the only things that soothed my body when I had my last rash . . . 9 years ago when I was pregnant with my first child and contracted a rare pregnancy rash called PUPPS.  Miserable.  Hoping it wasn’t that, since I had 3 months to go before the baby came and the rash would subside, I went home and took my oatmeal bath and slathered myself with cooling lotion.  And . . . nothing.  I still felt the same, and actually it was getting worse by the minute.

By late that night, it had traveled to my face and I was completely covered with red bumpy itchies from head to toe.  Even my hair itched.  Not to mention other places that . . . well, I’m not going to mention.  At this point, I figured it wasn’t PUPPS, but a reaction to one of the meds I was taking.  This was the same reaction I got from Penicillin 20 years ago.  Currently, I was on Bactrum and Nasonex, and had had some Afrin/Lydocain sprayed up my nose 2 days prior by the ENT.  It could have been a reaction to any of these.  I just wish I knew which one.

Every attempt at sleep that night proved fruitless.  My entire body felt like it was on fire.  No matter how many oatmeal baths or lotion slatherings I administered, I felt exactly the same.  After my 3rd bath and lotioning at 3:00 am, I decided that sleep was not an option for me that night, so I grabbed my book and headed downstairs to read and then watch TV until the sun came up.  At 7:00, my youngest son woke up to see me downstairs, and was very confused.  I came up to greet him, and he looked at me with his head tilted and a bit of apprehension on his face.  “Mom, you look . . . different.”  I told him I was sick and he asked if I had the chicken pox.  I told him I just had a rash.  (Later, he would tell my husband that I looked “creepy.”  He wasn’t wrong).

After trying again to sleep and finding it to be impossible still, I took another bath and decided that I was again going to have to go to the doctor.  So, dressed in my finest pajamas, unwashed hair pulled back in a bun, glasses and no make up on, I ventured out into the world to scare more children.  After an hour of waiting to be seen, the doctor asked what was wrong, and I told her I was having an allergic reaction.  She said she would give me steroids, and I told her I was pregnant.  So, apparently, Benadryl was the only thing I could take.  Luckily, she had some there, so she gave me my pills and finally let me go home.  Worth noting is that she never even examined me.  Maybe I was just too “creepy” to touch?

I spent the rest of the day in bed and misery.  I could hear the entire extended family splashing around and whooping it up outside at my pool.  Did I mention that this was Labor Day weekend?  Yeah.  I had left strict instructions that nobody was to come in the house.  I was much too frightening to be seen.

Later that evening, I actually started to feel a bit of relief.  Whether it was the meds that were working, or complete and utter exhaustion, I at least was finally able to sleep that night.  A couple days later, the rash was cleared up and I felt better.  Still with the crappy sinus issues (since I’d stopped taking the Nasonex in case that was the culprit of the rash), but no longer on fire from head to toe.  That might be the best I can hope for at this point.

So, that’s my long, ridiculous story of this past month.  Of the 20 days possible for me to be at work in August, I managed to make it in a mere 7 times.  Creativity and writing were pretty much out of the question during that entire time as well.  So, that’s my excuse.  Are we good?  All square and such?  It really wasn’t entirely my fault.  You’ll have to blame my plague.

(Below are some pics of the rash.  These are not for the faint of heart, so if you’d prefer not to look, run away now while your eyes are still in tact.  You’ve been warned . . .)






Close up of big, itchy, pregnant belly.

Close up of big, itchy, pregnant belly.


35 Comments (+add yours?)

  1. Marie Davis Brian
    Sep 11, 2014 @ 09:35:38

    Oh you poor thing! An evil sinus infection and a Mystery Rash?!? Double ugh.

    And the doctor that wouldn’t even get close enough to touch you! Pisses me off. I once had a dermatologist do that to me when I had a mystery rash. Made me feel like a leper. A good doctor always puts on gloves and touches your rash to help you figure out what it is.

    I am glad you are feeling better. Sounds like August sucked balls.


    • mistyslaws
      Sep 23, 2014 @ 13:23:36

      I was kind of kidding about me being too creepy to touch. Although, who knows. It was a walk-in clinic, they were super busy (as in I sat for an hour before anyone saw me), and I think she just believed me when I said it was a reaction. I was pissed she didn’t at least look in my ears or throat, or check my breathing. That seems basic. What if I was swelling INSIDE?


  2. Mary in NY
    Sep 11, 2014 @ 10:06:46

    I’m so glad you are okay! I keep checking in but no new blogs.


  3. Deborah the Closet Monster
    Sep 11, 2014 @ 11:10:41

    Yikes! May September be kinder!


  4. brickhousechick
    Sep 11, 2014 @ 11:25:01

    Oh my goodness! Glad that all is better now. I had a pretty miserable August myself with sepsis! I feel like I never really had a “summer”, don’t you?


  5. Carrie - Cannibalistic Nerd
    Sep 11, 2014 @ 11:58:34

    Wow. That sounds really rough! This whole doctor’s note business really sounds inconvenient.


    • mistyslaws
      Sep 23, 2014 @ 13:45:01

      It is the hugest pain in the ass, and relatively new, since I switched employers a couple years ago. I love being treated like a toddler by my employer!


  6. Fresh Ginger
    Sep 11, 2014 @ 12:00:26

    Well, you didn’t have to go get all icky and sick just to have an excuse not to blog. Geesh, woman. Feel better soon. The blog will be here later. 🙂


  7. Don't Quote Lily
    Sep 11, 2014 @ 12:32:21

    Wow, that’s insane. It’s about time for you to finally feel some relief. Hope you keep getting/feeling better!


  8. Ice Scream Mama
    Sep 11, 2014 @ 13:20:38

    well that’s a freaking miserable month! write that one off right away. it’s fall, fresh start, new leaf, good feelings. you’ve had your share of the crappy, you’re done. only good things from now on!!


  9. Sam Merel
    Sep 11, 2014 @ 13:32:28

    Yikes, I am so sorry about all of this. August is such a bitch. Here’s hoping for a better September!


  10. bluzdude
    Sep 11, 2014 @ 18:02:01

    OMG, if I were you, I’d skip August next year. What a mess!

    On behalf of your legion of friends and readers, I grant a full and unconditional pardon for your case of bloggus interrptus.


  11. pegoleg
    Sep 11, 2014 @ 18:02:28

    Yowza! No fair getting sick when preggers – shouldn’t be allowed. Hope you are no longer a big, red, itching mass of snottiness.


  12. Andrea @ Maybe It's Just Me
    Sep 11, 2014 @ 20:43:47

    Those spots make your belly look so small! 😉


  13. She's a Maineiac
    Sep 12, 2014 @ 20:01:32

    Oh, that is terrible! I think you’ve had enough in the misery department this pregnancy. Maybe a Beebs gift package will cheer you up?? Hmmm……


  14. Go Jules Go
    Sep 13, 2014 @ 17:19:43

    Oh, Nina Snaps! I’m so sorry! That sounds so painful and uncomfortable. Ugh. I couldn’t bring myself to ‘like’ this post, but I DO like the ending. I hope the rest of the pregnancy is smooth sailing; I can’t wait for #3 to arrive!


  15. transformednonconformist
    Sep 14, 2014 @ 18:31:46

    That sounds miserable. I’m glad you are better now.


  16. Judah First
    Sep 15, 2014 @ 10:36:52

    Yeah, in ’94 I had an allergic reaction to Lorabid. It came 5 days AFTER the round was complete. This is not out of the ordinary. I’m sure it was one of the anti-biotics you were taking. I hope you drank a LOT of water because I didn’t, and my blood-pressure bottomed out and I almost died. Nowadays, taking an antibiotic (for me) means a WORSE sickness is coming 3 days later. I don’t take them anymore. I’ll have to literally be dying before I’ll take one (because I’m convinced an antibiotic would kill me anyway).

    Capsicum (cayenne) is a natural antibiotic without all the side effects. Next time you’re sick, put hydrogen peroxide in each ear for 10 minutes from the onset of the first symptom, then every 24 hours until condition gone. As much cayenne as you can stand in tea, soup, on sandwiches – whatever you can put it on or in, take it. An 80% raw diet can really help improve your immune system. Getting your body to an alkaline state is helpful as well (no cows milk, meat, or sugar for 3 weeks will do this). Probiotics are extremely helpful when fighting an infection (and antibiotics kill everything, so you best be eating as much yoghurt right now as you can stand).

    My favorite healing tea recipe:
    Tea (anything will do)
    RAW honey
    Fresh lemon juice (as in a real lemon, not the bottled crap)

    Pretty much if you use enough whiskey, you won’t care how bad you feel. 😉

    Seriously, hope you are doing well, Misty!


    • mistyslaws
      Sep 23, 2014 @ 13:50:05

      Well, I can’t do the whiskey right now, but I have been drinking lots of tea with honey. I’ll have to look into adding those other ingredients (sans booze) and hope it keeps me well until the baby comes! Thanks for the tips.


  17. donofalltrades
    Sep 27, 2014 @ 10:31:33

    I don’t see them pictured, so what, your boobs didn’t get rashy? Lol. I’m sorry you were so miserable for so long. That’s totally unfair during a summer month. $50 for a copay is outrageous, and would no doubt keep me from the doctor even more than normal. All is well with the little one still? Right on track for little Donnie to come into the world kicking and a screamin’? Whatever, it’s just a suggestion. Will there be a baby naming contest/giveaway? You’re good at such stuff. Talk at you soon!


  18. The Cutter
    Oct 16, 2014 @ 11:00:52

    My daughter had a similar reaction, but we had her tested for penicillin allergy, and she came up negative. Turns out it was just a delayed reaction to the illness itself.


Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s

%d bloggers like this: