Well, it’s that time of year again. That magical time after the holidays are over, when you’ve joyously celebrated with family and friends, drinking and eating your weight in cheese and wine, celebrating a new year. But now, all of that frivolity and joy has come to an end, and it is time for your yearly trip to . . . depressionville. I don’t know if it’s the cold, the dark, the after holiday let down, or for me most specifically, the post flu recovery, but there is just something about this time of year that seems to bring people down into the depths of despair. There is sickness, and moping, and blues.
I am no stranger to these blues, as I currently seem to find myself similarly mired down in a deep state of funk.
But! I may have found a way to combat this funk, at least momentarily. I was recently reading some comments on a blog post (and for the love of Zeus, I cannot remember whose blog or who said it, otherwise I would totally credit them!), and a suggestion was given to write down 100 things that you like about yourself. Which I thought was somewhat brilliant, since I find myself constantly running a mental check list of opposite items. For example . . . Too fat, too lazy, Unappreciated at work, Not the best mom, Really not the best wife, Flabby arms, Large Ass, Ever widening hips, Crooked teeth, etc.
See how easy it is? I didn’t even have to think very hard about those things. They just leapt out of my noggin at warp speed! Which is pretty pathetic. I mean, if I am constantly thinking negative things about myself, no wonder I’m walking around all mopey.
So, we are all going to try this exercise, starting with yours truly. I am going to try to compile a list of 100 things that I actually like about myself. I’ll start here with however many I can think of, and continue later as more things come to me. And I challenge you to do the same. List some things that you like about you. You will be amazed at how many you can think of and how it will perk you up!
100 Things I like about ME:
1. I have adorable feet.
2. I am a good friend.
3. I always try to remember everyone’s birthday and always send a funny card to make them smile.
4. I have freakishly tiny wrists which confounds medical professionals.
5. I am highly knowledgable and skilled in my current profession.
6. I am usually very polite.
7. I kiss and hug my boys goodbye when I leave for work and before bed every single day.
8. I tell my boys that I love them every single day.
9. I have good skin.
10. I have shiny hair.
11. I make a mean veggie stir fry.
12. I make world class spaghetti sauce.
13. I’m not afraid to try new recipes.
14. I’m a pretty good writer.
15. I listen when people talk to me.
16. I love my kids with all my heart.
17. I love my husband, even if I don’t show it as much as I should.
18. I buy and send random gifts to people just because they make me think of that person and I think it will make them smile.
19. I send funny ”thinking of you” cards to people when they are dealing with difficult times.
20. I always try to say something insightful, funny or meaningful when commenting on friends’ blogs.
21. I always try to comment on friends’ blogs, so they know that their efforts are valued and recognized.
22. I often buy random things for my boys when I am shopping, just because I know they will like them and it will make them happy, even if there is no occasion.
23. I treat my secretaries and other support staff with respect, and never demean or demand from them.
24. I tip well . . . unless there is blatantly horrible service.
25. I have yet to murder either my mother or my brother. (Seriously, this one alone might qualify me for sainthood).
26. I always say please and thank you.
27. I make sure my kids’ schedules for sports, camps, birthdays, etc. is organized and that everyone knows where they need to be and when they need to be there.
28. I schlep my kids to and from sports, camps and birthday parties constantly.
29. I have 2 full time jobs . . . lawyer and mommy, both of which I do diligently and tirelessly (Ok, so maybe not tirelessly, but continuously at least!).
30. I wash sheets and towels every week.
31. I make dinner for the kids almost every night and make sure their lunches are packed and ready for the next day.
32. I am a voracious reader.
33. I pretty much know a song by heart after hearing it only a couple times, both words and melody.
34. I have never once in my entire life worn leggings . . . and especially not ever as pants.
35. I am kind.
36. I am generous.
37. I am thoughtful.
38. I am good enough, smart enough and gosh darn it, people like me! (Just seeing if you are still paying attention).
39. If I stop at Dunkin Donuts on my way home (i.e. not on the way to work or somewhere else) I will most always pick up a coffee for the hubs.
40. . . . . . . . .
Phew! Ok, that’s all I can do for now. And believe me, I worked on that list for a while, continuously coming back to it when I thought of something else. It’s hard. But you know what? I feel a little bit better about myself. Once you look at the good things in black and white, it definitely lifts your mood a bit.
So now it’s your turn. I want you to list some things you like about yourself. It doesn’t have to be 100. And really, this comment section would get ridiculous if everyone did 100, but just do as many as you can. Or, if you would like to do all 100, maybe make it your own blog post and challenge your own readers to do the same! Do it. It really will make you feel so much better. The gauntlet has been thrown . . . prepare to accept the challenge, my friends!